What is CIS?

The Construction Industry Scheme is a special tax regime administered by HM Revenue and Customs which is designed specifically to tax payments to made to sub-contractors within the construction industry. A benefit of being paid under the CIS scheme is that you can have tax deducted from the payments you receive on account of your tax liabilities due at the end of the financial year. You may also be entitled to claim tax relief on qualifying expenses incurred in undertaking your duties.

How do I register for self-employment?

You can register for self-employment by calling the HMRC CIS Helpline on 0300 200 3210. When registered for self-employment your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number will be posted to you. Once you have this number you will be registered on the CIS Scheme. Please note that you will have to call the HMRC to activate the UTR.

Why am I being taxed 30%?

If you are not registered under the CIS scheme you will be taxed at the higher 30% tax until you receive your UTR.

Do I get holiday or sick pay?

No because these types of payments are for employees only. By registering with QCCL you are confirming that you are genuinely self-employed which means you will not have entitlement to these types of payment.

How do I know when I will be paid?

You will receive an SMS text message on Wednesday confirming the amount that will be paid into your account on Friday. You will also get a weekly payment deduction statement posted to your address confirming the total amount paid to you and the CIS tax deducted where appropriate.

What is Qualified Commercial Contractors fee for?

Our fee or “margin” is a charge to you for the processing of the payment we make to you. This covers the cost of processing the payment and ensuring that you receive the correct deductions and notifications

As a self-employed, who I am working for?

As a self-employed person you are working for yourself, however as your work is within construction then you will be working for QCCL as a genuine Sub-contractor. QCCL will be engaged by a client for the provision of construction services and you will be engaged by QCCL to provide those services as a skilled Sub-contractor.

What happens when a project ends?

As a self-employed person you will not be entitled to any redundancy payment if the project ends. The idea of self-employment is to allow a worker to have the freedom of choice over when and where he works so the expectation should be to move from project to project as and when it suits you but also allows the contractor the freedom to chose when he needs the services of a sub-contractor.

Do I need pay National Insurance?

Yes. As a self-employed operative you must take responsibility for paying your Class 2 and 4 National Insurance contributions. Failure to do so could result in HMRC imposing fines. Class 4c National Insurance is calculated automatically through your self-assessment tax return.

Request a call back